So my resources were again up to the demand so it´s time to continue with the houses. Next step in this long journey is to construct some roofing.
The roof of the houses have to be quite strong because they are removable and I don’t want to repair them after every play session. That’s why I decided to make the support structures from plascticard. I also wanted to try different styles to make a roof so the Inn roof is constructed little differently than other houses.
The roof of the Merchant´s house
Here is how I made the Merchants house roof. I made two pediments from foamcore and clued strips of plasticard to bind them together.
[singlepic id=1305 w=320 h=240 float=center]
[singlepic id=1304 w=320 h=240 float=center]
After this I used 1mm cardboard to make a base for the roof, it also gives good support for the roof. Over this I will add the roof tiles later.
[singlepic id=1306 w=320 h=240 float=center]
When both sides were done I used A4 paper to measure what is the correct angle that I have to cut for the smaller roof sections. Just take a sheet of A4, put it over the soon-to-be roof and try different folds to find the exact match. Paper is much easier to handle and cut than cardboard. When you have the right angle, transfer the angle (and the shape of the roof section) to the cardboard and cut it out. After this is glued two support beams to the bigger roof section where I could glue the smaller roof sections.
[singlepic id=1307 w=320 h=240 float=center]
[singlepic id=1308 w=320 h=240 float=center]
[singlepic id=1309 w=320 h=240 float=center]
The roof of the Smith`s house
In the previous post I already made the walls to the Smith´s house upper part. I used the same steps to construct the roof as with the Merchants´s house.
So first plasticard support beams.
[singlepic id=1301 w=320 h=240 float=center]
Then I used the A4-paper technique to make templates for the roof sections and cut those from 1mm cardboard. For the Smith´s house I also added longer roof section over the forge so that the Smith could work even when it rains. I used Blue Tack to keep the parts together when the glue was drying.
[singlepic id=1322 w=320 h=240 float=center]
Here is the Smith and the Merchant houses at the end of this stage
[singlepic id=1319 w=320 h=240 float=center]
The roof of the Inn
I knew that this would be the hardest phase because there is a second floor, which is removable, and also a removable roof. I had to make this one little bit differently than the others. I had made the second floor earlier so I started to measure the roof sections. Again, I used the A4-technique. In this picture you can see the paper parts (top) and the cardboard parts (bottom) for the Inn.
[singlepic id=1311 w=320 h=240 float=center]
Then I positioned the sections over the second floor and used tape to connect them and to keep the shape of the roof.
[singlepic id=1298 w=320 h=240 float=center]
[singlepic id=1300 w=320 h=240 float=center]
After this I turned the roof over and glued small foamcore support parts under the roof. The inner support parts were glued 1 cm apart from each other because this way the second floors two inner walls would go between them and this way guide the roof every time to the right spot.
[singlepic id=1312 w=320 h=240 float=center]
This is the most time consuming phase of the roof job but I strongly recommend it because the effect is really nice. I started by cutting a big pile of 1,5cm wide cardboard strips. After this I made small cuts every 0.5cm or so to mimic tiles. I also made little cuts here and there to resemble the effects of time.
[singlepic id=1326 w=320 h=240 float=center]
Then it’s only a matter of patience and time. Start glueing these strips to the roof from the bottom. Remember to overlay the strips slightly so it seems that there are only individual tiles, not strips of tiles. Be ready to spend a while with this stage!
[singlepic id=1323 w=320 h=240 float=center]
[singlepic id=1324 w=320 h=240 float=center]
For the roof ridge I cut tiny cardboard tiles and bent those from the centre so that they would fit snugly to the ridge
[singlepic id=1314 w=320 h=240 float=center]
Then I started from the outer edge of the ridge and glued these tiles on.
[singlepic id=1315 w=320 h=240 float=center]
[singlepic id=1316 w=320 h=240 float=center]
Here is the Inn’s finished roof
[singlepic id=1296 w=320 h=240 float=center]
Think carefully how much detail you want to put on your terrain. These consume a lot of time and often slows the whole project down. If you want to have fast gaming terrain, forget these BUT if you want your terrain to really pop up from the gaming table, details are the key for this. Personally I think that details are the most interesting part in terrain making!
For the Merchant’s house and the Smith’s house I added chimneys to the roof. It´s easy to do and gives a lot of character to the roof. I used bluefoam again and carved the brick pattern to it.
[singlepic id=1294 w=320 h=240 float=center]
[singlepic id=1295 w=320 h=240 float=center]
[singlepic id=1320 w=320 h=240 float=center]
The edges of the roof seemed too thin so I glued little balsa boards under the roof edges
[singlepic id=1325 w=320 h=240 float=center]
Still the edges looked little bit “off” so I glued sideboards from balsa to the edge. This really cleaned up the the edge of the roof and now it pleased my eye.
[singlepic id=1318 w=320 h=240 float=center]
[singlepic id=1317 w=320 h=240 float=center]
OK, now the houses are really looking like a place you could live in. There is only one problem, there is no stairs to get in!
As always comments and question are welcome!!
Next up : Part V, Three methods to make stairs