The numbness of my hand is decreasing a little bit, so I have to hurry and continue to write about the Tower before I lose control of my hand again.
After the tile work and the second floor, it was time to move to the outside of the tower. I wanted to add some kind of “teeth” to the tower to give it a sinister feel. I used blue foam to cut simple rectangles and glued those on.
It looked kind of stupid that the dentition of the tower jutted from the edge without supports, so I added blue foam columns underneath them. The first ones were straight blocks which didn’t look good. I cut new ones that had a slight curve outwards at the bottom, and it worked.
It’s always good to add some details to plain surfaces and give some texture to the walls, so I cut small tiles from cardboard and glued them here and there. The aim was to have a chipped plaster look wherein tiles become visible as time wears out the plaster.
Then I covered the whole thing with filler and made sure that the tiles remained visible.
Here is the Tower after sanding. As you can see from the pics, I was so enthusiastic about the construction that I worked all night to get it right.
The front stairs were quite straight forward to construct. I cut a space for the stairs (see below) and built them up from blue foam (Tip: I used a mini to get the scale right). I then added some filler and sanded them.
To finish off the building phase, I used a sharp knife to cut vertical lines and gaps to the base of the Tower. Now the Tower had a rock solid looking base!
Even nowadays I’m always excited to paint a big terrain object, and I remember how scared I was to start painting the Tower. It was the most challenging part of creating the Tower and there were a few times when I thought “this isn’t my cup of tea”, but that’s the topic of my next article!