Blood and Paint VIII: The Crimson Harvest – A Mammoth Predator, Part 1 (Lower Body)

As promised, this B&P we begin a terrible travesty against all of humanity: a Mammoth Predator!

Blame this one on Omnus. When I was first getting into Skorne, he offered to trade a NIB Mammoth for a Woldwrath. I happened to have one NIB myself, and my wife was nice enough to allow me to trade it away from her Circle 🙂

So what to do with it? I knew from the start that I wanted to do something about those terribly unwieldy tusks. At first, I thought of using the original concept of my demon-beasts, i.e. using the tusks as horns. But the Mammoth is where I finally let that idea go. It looked even sillier than I’d ever expected in my test fitting. I put that off for the moment though, as I had to tackle the first hurdle: the Mammoth’s big butt. No matter what happened with the head, I knew I wanted an upright Mammoth. But I quickly realized in the dry-fitting that he had really tiny legs, and would be far too squat if I put him upright. What to do? Only one choice: extend those bad boys!

 

[row class=”row-fluid”]
[col class=”span6″][/col]
[col class=”span6″][/col]
[/row]

 

[row class=”row-fluid”]
[col class=”span6″][/col]
[col class=”span6″]I have to admit, I wasn’t terribly excited at this point. That’s a whole lot of sculpting, and although I was fairly sure the man-skirt and the proportions were right, I’d never tried anything on this scale before. Oh well, only thing to do is to get that greenstuff on it …[/col]
[/row]

 

[row class=”row-fluid”]
[col class=”span6″][/col]
[col class=”span6″][/col]
[/row]
[row class=”row-fluid”]
[col class=”span6″][/col]
[col class=”span6″]Bam, baby! I encountered a huge problem when I was halfway through the process, in that the thigh-plates were really digging into the new sculpted muscle. Rather than have my Mammoth look like he was wearing tight pants with cellulite rolling around the armor, I did a quick cast with the Instant Mold (I love it so much, it makes things so much easier) and then did that which all modelers dread … permanently cut away a major section of my uber-expensive model. [/col]
[/row]
Still, the greenstuff worked well in the mold, and I was able to bang out quality replacement pieces. A couple of snakes of greenstuff twisted together to create rope, and hello, Nurse! At this point, I was quite ecstatic about how it was going. But up next … the man-skirt of doom …

 

[row class=”row-fluid”]
[col class=”span6″][/col]
[col class=”span6″][/col]
[/row]

 

… and it worked better than I could have possibly hoped for! Cutting off the bulgy bits for the lower two plates gave me space for the stitched cloth; as I’d hoped/planned for, the loincloth/backskirt also covered the parts of the butt and bottom section I wanted obscured and out of sight. I used a larger stitch-maker for him than normal minis, as it looked odd otherwise. Although I was fairly happy with it at this point, it just felt like something was missing. Despite the work on the loincloth, it felt … bland. I needed more visual interest in the area, and the tassels weren’t doing it for me. What to do?

 

[row class=”row-fluid”]
[col class=”span6″][/col]
[col class=”span6″][/col]
[/row]

 

Protect your skinned family jewels! I used a spare Titan Sentry shield I had, courtesy of my friend Aaron, and used some of the rope model that is supposed to be part of the firing mechanism to fasten it into place (at least for the eye; it’s actually far more secured by a pin right into his crouch. Ouch). At this point, the tassels that would normally fasten his belt just didn’t fit any more. They would obscure part of the crotch shield, and the entire area would look too busy. So I simply brownstuffed over the hole and called it good.

And that’s it for the bottom half! This marks the first entire tube of greenstuff used (and about a pound added to the weight of the model). I’m quite pleased with how it’s progressing, and morbidly amused that he’s already approaching the height of the standard Mammoth model, only, you know, without the rest of his body. This model is truly going to be a gargantuan predator. I’m still sticking within the conversion rules, and trying to use only Skorne-y stuff. Although the thigh plates are greenstuff copies of his originals, when painted they will be identical to the resin. No one will ever know the difference … unless they read this 🙂

Next time: the torso and arms. See you then!

 

–MK

 

GEARTEETH HCO Signature

Authors

Related posts

Top