Blood and Paint IX: The Crimson Harvest – A Mammoth Predator, Part 2 (Upper Body)

To kick ass, you need a body, as well as legs. So in this article, we give the Mammoth his four arms of doom (and a torso to support them, just because I’m feeling generous). When last we saw him, the Mammoth had risen up from his squat to bring his ‘weapons’ to stare normal beasts in the eyes:

 

“That’s right. My crotch is level with your head. Pray for assassination, baby!”

 

Before I went any further, I decided to do some serious modifications to the upper torso itself. As I’m planning on having the cannons shoulder-mounted (I watched a lot of the Predator movies during this, so take a wild guess where I’m going), the back needed work. I went back and forth for a while on what I wanted, and how I was going to explain it fluff-wise. Part of me thought of massive soul cages and having the cannons shoot energy bursts, like a Predator, but in the end the ooky-factor won. What’s worse than getting a cannonball in your head? Getting covered in caustic cast-off blood leftover from an Orgoth god (waste-blood … yeah, even nastier than regular old blood)! Although it would have been easier to simply paint bone tanks or somesuch, I decided to go for the gusto. I’m using clear vials, with a lot of spare Tamiya X-27 (the paint I use for my blood) actually sloshing around inside. Here’s hoping it works …

 

“Honestly, officer, these clear vials are for art!”

 

So I dremeled out the middle section of the torso a bit, to better fit the vials. At this point, dry-fitting everything together would have been smart. I am not a smart man.

 

"Check these abs, ladies!"

“Check these abs, ladies!”

 

Actually attaching the torso was simply a matter of pinning it in place, and greenstuffing the gigantic gap. I wanted a more centred torso, and its natural bend wanted to pull a Karchev (i.e. fielding a grounder, with one hand brushing the ground). It wasn’t too hard to get it solid in there. As you can see I’ve begun to work on the shoulder as well, as I didn’t want the arm raised up on him. I plan on covering the shoulders with the standard shoulder pads, so I’m not too terribly worried about having them perfectly sculpted. But I needed more support for the blood tanks, especially as with the fluid in them they’d be fairly weighty. Since I couldn’t exactly pin the glass tubes, I did the next best thing …

 

 

I extended the back piece! This served a dual purpose, in that I wanted to use as many of the Mammoth’s original parts as possible, and I also needed a solid base to keep the glass vials in place when it came time to attach them. The extensions themselves were simple plastic piping with a core of the pinning wire. The biggest problem was cutting one of the back-end pieces free and placing it center-mass on the support piece. As I was only using three of the four cannons (the reasons for which I’ll talk about in the cannon article) I really needed there to be only three outlet pieces. Some patience, a lot of work with a jeweller’s saw, and more greenstuff yielded a fairly center-placed outlet. And last, but not least, let’s give the Mammoth a hand!

 

 

 

 

Hell, I’m feeling generous, give him four! Normally, I’d want to leave off the arms on such a huge model until after I’d painted him. But there was simply too much greenstuff work to be done for that to be possible, and I needed to make sure everything fit anyway. It worked out quite well, and the arms look natural for the pose. The outlets got a set of valves to hold the hoses that will lead from the weapon to the blood tanks.

All in all, he’s coming along better than I could have ever hoped! Next time, we go to the head of the class, and the bloody thing is so big it gets its own article 🙂

 

–MK

 GEARTEETH HCO Signature

 

Authors

Related posts

Top